The Keystone is an architectural stone that is produced by the use of the square and compasses in its design. The Travelling Keystone is intended to be a rallying point and symbol of Fraternal Friendship, Fellowship & Goodwill.
Richly rewarded shall he be who succeeds in finding it, and richly rewarded will be the Lodge that holds the Travelling Keystone of the Mark Master Masons Province of Berkshire.
1. The guidelines for passing on the Travelling Keystone will be overseen by the Travelling Keystone Co-Ordinator, W Bro David Wiltcher, it will be his responsibility to ensure that both the Lodge holding and receiving the Travelling Keystone are fully aware of all the requirements necessary.
2. The Ritual for the passing on of the Travelling Keystone from one Lodge to another will be, whenever possible, under the direction of the Provincial Grand Director of Ceremonies or a member of his team. Where this is not possible, it will be the responsibility of the receiving Lodge Director of Ceremonies. The Travelling Keystone Co-ordinator will inform the receiving Lodge who the Director of Cermonies will be.
3. The Secretary of the Lodge receiving the Travelling Keystone must pass on a copy of the Ritual to the Director of Ceremonies of the Lodge and ensure that he is familiar with the Ritual.
4. A Schedule of Lodges to receive the Travelling Keystone will be circulated to Lodge Secretaries by the Travelling Keystone Co-Ordinator.
5. The Secretary of the Lodge next due to receive the Travelling Keystone must ensure that a copy of the Summons for the meeting, which includes an item “To receive the Travelling Keystone” is sent to the Secretary of the Lodge holding the Travelling Keystone and also the Travelling Keystone Co-ordinator, W Bro David Wiltcher, (email@example.com).
6. The Secretary of the holding Lodge should circulate the Summons to all of its members and ensure that the Worshipful Master, Senior Warden and Junior Warden are available to attend the meeting and should encourage as many members as possible to accompany the Keystone on its journey. Details of those attending should be sent to the Secretary of the Lodge due to receive the Travelling Keystone and also the Travelling Keystone Co-ordinator, W Bro David Wiltcher, (firstname.lastname@example.org) especially details of those intending to dine.
7. Before the Travelling Keystone leaves the possession of a Lodge, the Log Book (this should always be kept in the box) should be completed giving the date of transfer, name of the Lodge to which it is transferred and the names/signatures of those who travelled with it. It is the responsibilty of the PGM’s representative to ensure this completed before the end of the evening.
8. The Ritual for the passing on of the Travelling Keystone will have been circulated to all Lodge Secretaries. The Secretary of the holding Lodge should ensure that the details of the next but one Lodge to receive the Keystone are entered in the Address to be given by the Worshipful Master.
9. If for any reason the Travelling Keystone is not passed on, the Travelling Keystone Co-Ordinator must be informed immediately with the reasons for it not being passed on.
10. As all Lodges will have received the Schedule, their members should be encouraged to attend the hand over meeting as it will afford an opportunity to enhance the Fraternal Friendship, Fellowship & Goodwill between the two Lodges.